RUAF Foundation is a partner in the GlobE-UrbanFoodPlus project funded by BMZ (Germany) in which scientists and private enterprises, coordinated by the University of Kassel, jointly develop site-specific, farmer-tailored innovations for improved agricultural production and resource-use efficiency in urban agriculture in four West African cities. The RUAF partners IWMI and IAGU will implement research and encourage multi-stakeholder involvement and joint learning in Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso) and Tamale (Ghana).
Duration: 5 years
Funding: BMZ (Germany)
Project partners: University of Kassel (coordination) and three other German universities (Bochum, Freiburg, Göttingen); RUAF Foundation (IWMI, IAGU); IER and PSCRLK (Mali); University of Ouagadougou, INERA, CIRDES and BELWET (Burkina Faso); SRI Kumasi and University of Tamale (Ghana); University of Zaria (Nigeria); AVRDC (Bangkok); and ILRI (Nairobi)
The project includes on-farm experiments, workshops, and policy dialogue to detect bottlenecks in (intra- and peri-) urban food production and marketing chains in four major cities, and to identify and test-implement options to overcome them.
In the two cities where the work is initiated, Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso and Tamale in Ghana, RUAF partners, IAGU and IWMI respectively, will facilitate multi-stakeholder involvement in the research process and joint learning on urban food systems and resource recovery and reuse.
The project seeks to generate:
- better understanding of the inefficiencies in the management of intra- and peri-urban food production and marketing systems in West African cities;
- tested, improved management strategies that enhance nutrient and water use efficiency;
- reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, maintenance of soil quality, and increased food production and produce safety, despite the use of contaminated wastewater in vegetable and livestock production;
- better knowledge of the qualitative and quantitative contribution of urban agriculture to food and income security of urban households;
- enhanced south-south collaboration and knowledge transfer regarding urban resource use efficiency, product safety, and income earning in/by urban agriculture.
- Video on biochar production (Sep 25, 2015). Video shows biochar production and use by farmers
- Urban and peri-urban agriculture in Tamale: a Policy Narrative
- Draft city strategic agenda on urban and peri-urban agriculture in Tamale
- Policy narrative Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (Nov 2016)
- Report on Technical and multi-stakeholder workshop in Tamale, March 2018
- Report "Policy makers urged to help improve agriculture" in Ghana News
- UrbanFoodPlus movie (in English or French)
For more information please see the UrbanFoodPlus website