Edited by Henk de Zeeuw (RUAF Foundation) and Pay Drechsel (International Water Management Institute)
"The book ‘Cities and Agriculture’ presents experience and evidence on key dimensions of urban food challenges and types of intra-and peri-urban agriculture, in 15 extremely well-researched and written chapters". Read the full book review by Aloysius Clemence Mosha.
"Decision makers should definitely consult chapter three in order to capture the idea of city food governance" Read the full book review by Aiperi Otunchieva.
Or read this collaborative effort that provides in-depth analysis for each of the 15 chapters in this book.
As people increasingly migrate to urban settings and more than half of the world's population now lives in cities, it is vital to plan and provide for sustainable and resilient food systems which reflect this challenge. This volume presents experience and evidence-based "state of the art" chapters on the key dimensions of urban food challenges and types of intra- and peri-urban agriculture.
The book provides urban planners, local policy makers and urban development practitioners with an overview of crucial aspects of urban food systems based on an up to date review of research results and practical experiences in both developed and developing countries. By doing so, the international team of authors provides a balanced textbook for students of the growing number of courses on sustainable agriculture, food and urban studies, as well as a solid basis for well-informed policy making, planning and implementation regarding the development of sustainable, resilient and just urban food systems.
Click here for an interview with the editors of Cities and Agriculture
The hardcopy book can be ordered from Routledge or you can download separate chapters or a complete e-copy below.
- Urban food systems
- Urban food policies and programmes: an overview
- Process and tools for multistakeholder planning of urban agro-food systems
- Agriculture in urban design and spatial planning
- Urban agriculture and short chain food marketing in developing countries
- Urban agriculture's contribution to urban food security and nutrition
- Productive and safe use of urban organic wastes and wastewater in urban food production systems in low-income countries
- Urban agriculture and climate change
- Urban horticulture
- Urban livestock keeping
- Urban forestry and agroforestry
- Urban aquaculture for resilient food systems
- Gendering urban food strategies across multiple scales
- Financing urban agriculture: what do we know and what should we know
- Role of urban agriculture in disasters and emergencies