The RUAF Foundation developed, in cooperation with other organisations, several distance learning courses on urban agriculture and urban food security that are accessible free of charge.
- With Ryerson University (Canada), a series of 4 Courses on Urban Agriculture (each containing 14 learning modules) was developed.
- Understanding Urban Agriculture, including modules on the definition of the urban agriculture, its history and actual trends, the stakeholders in urban agriculture, its benefits and risks, its constraints and opportunities, amongst others
- Dimensions of Urban Agriculture, including modules on the environmental, social and economic dimensions of urban agriculture, its role in health and nutrition, gender issues, amongst others
- Types of Urban Agriculture, including modules on microfarming in and around the homes, community- and school-gardening, small scale commercial horticulture, livestock keeping and aquaculture, larger scale entreprises, multifucntional farms, urban forestry, amongst others.
- Urban Agriculture Policymaking, including modules on the integration of urban agriculture in policy making, establishment and functioning of a multi-stakeholder forum on urban agriculture and food, situation analysis of actual urban agriculture, joint development of a Strategic Action Agenda and other modules.
There are two modalities of this course series:
- a free access version on this website. Please go to http://moodle.ruaf.org.
- tutored courses, part of the elective offerings of The Chang School’s Certificate in Food Security, Participants who successfully pass the exams receive a professional development award. Persons interested to follow the tutored courses have to contact Ryerson University and pay a fee.
- With the University of Bologna, Horticity, Agreenium, Vegepolys, SWUAS, Hei-tro, STePS, Mammut film and Grow the Planet, in the framework of the Urban Green Train project, a series of 5 modules was developed on urban agriculture and entrepreneurship. Please go to http://moodle2.ruaf.org/ (login as a guest).
- RUAF partner IPES (Peru) partnered with the Latin America office of the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) in the design of a Spanish-language distance learning course and with the Brazilian government in the development of a Portuguese distance learning course. multi-stakeholder action planning, For this course click here.