Urban Agriculture Magazine
July 2000, Volume 1, no. 1
References to agriculture in the city go back a long time in history. Literature references on agriculture in the city and on urban agriculture are more recent. Growing cities and populations are one of the big challenges of the future. The importance of urban agriculture in sustainable urban development is growing, and recognition grows.
This maiden issue of the UA Magazine has sought to give a broad picture of urban agriculture, both thematic and background of cases. Most of the articles further show the importance of urban agriculture, as a tradition, as a strategy of improving access to food, and/or as a response to crises. Subsequently, the need to incorporate urban agriculture in urban planning and policies is highlighted.
Future issues of the UA Magazine will focus on a specific theme.
- Urban agriculture: concept and definition
- Urban Agriculture, a response to crisis?
- Urban Agriculture and Biodiversity
- The integration of agriculture in urban policies
- Learning to live with livestock in town
- Dynamics in tropical homegardens
- Ahmedabad Green Partnership Project
- Urban agriculture in St Petersburg, Russia
- Urban agriculture in Havana, Cuba