SWITCH is a major research programme, funded by the European Union and involving 32 partner organisations in 15 cities. SWITCH was coordinated by IHE-UNESCO, the Netherlands. RUAF partners IGSNRR, IWMI and IPES implemented research on productive reuse of urban water (including storm and wastewater) in urban agriculture in Beijing (China), Accra (Ghana) and Lima (Peru); RUAF partner ETC (the Netherlands) systematised the results of the three studies.
Duration 5 years
Funding European Union
Project partners IHE-UNESCO (Coordination); RUAF Foundation (ETC, IWMI, IPES and IGSNRR). For the 32 other project partners see the SWITCH project website
The SWITCH project established city multi-stakeholder learning alliances that guided and supported SWITCH in the development and implementation of its research and demonstration activities, the implementation of a strategic planning process approaching the urban water cycle in an integrated way and allowing the development of new strategic directions for urban water management.
RUAF Foundation contributed with activities aimed at realizing a paradigm shift in wastewater management and sanitation towards a recycling-oriented closed-loop approach. The activities were focused on three cities: Accra (Ghana), Beijing (China) and Lima (Peru) and included:
- The identification of opportunities for appropriate productive reuse of urban storm and wastewater for agriculture,
- Design, implementation and monitoring of pilot projects
- Facilitating the integration of productive reuse of wastewater in the policy and planning frameworks of these cities.
Results obtained (RUAF-implemented part)
- An inventory of opportunities and limitations for treatment and reuse of wastewater for urban agriculture.
- Guidelines for safe reuse of wastewater in urban agriculture.
- An analysis of the collection, storage and reuse of urine in urban agriculture.
- A system for rainwater harvesting and use in urban protected horticulture
- The final report on Work Package 5.2 Productive Reuse of urban (waste and excess storm) water for Agriculture
- The editorial of the Urban Agriculture Magazine 20 on Sustainable Reuse of Urban Water in Agriculture is presenting the main results of
- The SWITCH project final report (edited and published by IRC) that integrates chapters on the Lima and Beijing case studies and pilot projects regarding productive use of urban water in urban agriculture
Beijing case study and pilot projects
- Overview of the water resources situation in Beijing, China
- Analysis of water resources for urban agriculture in Beijing, China
- Identification of alternative watersources for urban agriculture in Beijing, China
- Adapting to scarcity: improving water sources and their use in urban agriculture in Huairou, Beijing, China
- A handbook on rain water harvesting for use in urban agriculture, Beijing, China
Accra case study and pilot projects
- Technological and institutional innovation on irrigated urban agriculture in Accra, Ghana
- Improving decision making on interventions in the urban water system of Accra, Ghana
- Design considerations and constraints regarding on farm wastewater treatment in Accra, Ghana
- Poster Improving urban water quality for livelihoods enhancement in Accra, Ghana
- Participatory design and construction of onfarm wastewater treatment facilities in Accra, Ghana
- Planning water dependent urban livelihoods for the urban poor in Accra, Ghana
- Towards integrated water management in Greater Metropolitan Area of Accra, Ghana
- Poster Propoor water supply in Accra, Ghana
- Urban Agriculture and Social Inclusion in Accra, Ghana
Lima case study and pilot projects
- Situation analysis of urban water availability and quality for urban agriculture in Lima, Peru
- The use of treated domestic wastewater for urban agriculture and green areas in Lima, Peru
- Analysis of 6 wastewater treatment and reuse practices in Lima, Peru
- The use of reservoirs to improve the quality of urban irrigation water in Lima, Peru
- Policy guidelines for waste water treatment and use for irrigation of urban agriculture in Lima, Peru
- Panorama de experiencias de tratamiento y uso de aguas residuales y de agricultura
urbana en la ciudad de Lima (Perú)