OXFAM Italia and the RUAF Foundation are jointly implementing the Gaza Urban and Peri-urban Agriculture Project (G-UPA) with funding from the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). The project will assist small-scale urban producers to establish value-adding microenterprises and to organise marketing chains for selected products at the local level and for export. Also, a Gaza Strip-wide Platform on Urban Agriculture will be established to develop longer-term policies and programmes.
Duration 4 years
Funding Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and project partners (25 %)
Project partners OXFAM-Italia (coordination) and RUAF Foundation (the Netherlands) in cooperation with local government, civil society, research and private sector stakeholders.
- Stakeholder assessment
- Analysis and participatory innovation development of specific agricultural value chains (dates, dairy, vegetables and olives)
- Analysis of the urban market system and consumer demand; consumer education campaigns
- Visioning and scenario development for UPA in Gaza to contribute to a more resilient agriculture sector
- Establishment of chain actor platforms for selected products in various urban localities (such as Khan Younis, Deir Balah, Gaza City)
- Capacity building/strengthening of value chain actors and extension agents
- Facilitating support to the processing and marketing of food products
- Establishment of a Gaza Strip-wide Platform for Urban Agriculture that will ensure formulation and implementation of longer-term policies and programmes
- Improvement of service supply markets to the urban agriculture processing sector (e.g. solar based cold storage; processing equipment and product quality control and improvements, packaging and labelling) has been facilitated
- Training and extension service delivery to urban agriculture producers and processors in selected sectors (training of trainers and extension staff) has been improved.
- Improved public policy and governance frameworks have been developed enabling a better functioning urban agriculture market system (strategic vision; policies, plans and regulations; protection of productive assets).
Please find below a selected set of project outputs:
Value chain analysis reports:
- Dairy value chain report
- Vegetable value chain report
- Olive value chain report
- Palm date value chain report
Interview with Mariëlle Dubbeling (Director RUAF)
|DAIRY VC FINAL.pdf||836.57 KB|
|Olive Value Chain FINAL.pdf||690.22 KB|
|PALM DATE VC FINAL.pdf||763.13 KB|
|Vegetable Chain FINAL 26-04.pdf||1.03 MB|
|GUPA project Newsletter N.1.pdf||5.75 MB|
|UA in Gaza Marielle.pdf||936.29 KB|
|GUPA Project Newletter N 3 Jan 2017.pdf||1.01 MB|
|GUPA Project Newsletter N 2 Jan 2016.pdf||4.24 MB|